Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No One's Mother

Why does everyone assume I am someone's mother when I show up at the rink. Or someone's (GASP!!) grandmother (I'm not that old!) or someone's nanny. Oh the joys of being an African-American woman in the snotty world of figure skating! To be fair, in the neighborhood I live in, people in my building think I'm the home health aid of the woman in 2G.

I believe I told one woman three times in two sessions that I do not have any children; I actually don't like children. Most kids I have met are obnoxious, whinny, cry-baby pains in the ass. And if one more person tells me I'll feel different about my own kids, I may kick them in the ass. But, I digress...

I had a pretty decent session on Sunday. Not sure if it's because I had on enough deep heat to stop a large truck (and it was pretty warm on Sunday) or because I decided to skate the early session, but it wasn't that bad.

I may never go to the Olympics, but then again, neither will 99% of the skaters out there. I do wish that the skating parents out there would think before they speak. Adult figure skaters are growing everyday. Don't assume we're waiting for our children, like you are. We're moving. YOU'RE sitting, waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Same thing happens to me all the time. When I walk into a test session I get asked what the name of my child is when I go to register.

    I'm wondering if adult skating will get more popular after Skating with the Stars starts airing next week.

    BTW, I'm writing under the name Baffled these days since I started a different blog. I used to write as Silver Blades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Silver Blades!!! You have been missed!!! Hope you are well. I will be reading your blog as well.

    I don't know if there will be more adults after Skating with the Stars since most of those participants can't be considered "stars". LOL!!

    ReplyDelete