Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Different Drum

I have said it before and I'll say it again: Next year, I will NOT ice monitor on the Sunday morning (or any other day) session. On a good day, I listen to countless parents complain about something, then coaches complain about something and then I get to take my unprepared body onto the ice for (hopefully!) 20 minutes of skating.

Until I get interrupted, again.

This Sunday, because of the change in schedule, was as bad as last Sunday. Only difference was, it was 10 times colder in the rink. And my body decided not to cooperate.

Skating, like the sign language class I am taking, is my outlet. My other outlets are working out (which I haven't had the chance to do), writing and taking a lunch hour. I haven't done any of those and it's beginning to take a toll on my mental health.

I have more stress than I can deal with right now. I have family issues that are driving me to the point of wanting to get in my car and drive as far away from everything as I possibly can. No, the issues aren't that severe or life threatening; I'm just tired of hearing the same damned complaints every single blessed day. I'm tired of my upstairs neighbors sounding as though they are Godzilla stomping Tokyo in Doc Marten boots. I am tired of not being able to sit quietly and watch TV in my living room without constant movement out of the corner of my eye. I am tired of listening to daily complaints.

You see, in my job, all I hear are complaints. Doctors complaining about what they are paid, what the state should do to fix something, complaints, complaints, complaints. STOP! I can't take any more. I need everyone to just shut up for a few days. Shut up and sit still.

I need some peace and quiet.

I hate my job. I can't stand my boss. I hate my commute. I haven't taken a real vacation in over a year. I have no social life. I feel as though the world wants everything from me all at once and I just don't have enough to give anymore. I am willing to make a very large sacrifice just so one person will (temporarily) stop complaining to me.

I am running out of pencils to break (at work). I have been listening to my self confidence Cd's and they are helping me sleep, but when I wake up, there are the issues all over again. And they never stop. Ever. Long after I'm dead, someone will dig me up (or take my ashes, I haven't really decided) just to complain to me about something.

I am writing this at work, so I must go. Please excuse me while I do my boss' work now.

4 comments:

  1. You have GOT to take a vacation! Now! Can you afford to? If you can't, can you at least take a few days off work? Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet. I should take a vacation; I just don't know where or when. Not being able to swim has prevented me from going to Florida, California or any place tropical. Really should have paid more attention to swimming class in college. I will find some way to squeeze in a few days off. I'll go some place quiet and warm. Especially warm. It's 23 degrees in NYC, but at least it's not snowing. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ideas for mini vacations until you can get away for real, numbered in order of awesomeness. I have tried all of these. They all cost money, I couldn't think of anything that didn't.

    6. Spa day! But at home. Manicure, pedicure, smear some goop on your face a few times.
    5. Random crafting. I made bath bombs. They look terrible, but it was fun.
    4. Crazy classes at the gym that you would normally never take, for a whole week, even if it's not convenient. Assuming your gym has them. I took tai chi and yoga.
    3. Spa day! Pay someone else to do your manicure, pedicure, facial, etc.
    2. Botanical garden in your area? Hang out there for a few hours. Pretend you are somewhere else.
    Aaand number 1- National Park in reasonable driving distance? Drive there. Stay a night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a spa day. I was really thinking of doing that. Now that NY is finally free from the "S" word (snow), I can check out a botanical garden. There are at least 4 that I know of, but I think everything is still in the development stage. I could take some crazy classes at the gym; they have a Latin Dance class I've watched for over a year... Hmmm...

    What's a bath bomb?

    Thank you for coming up with a list. How's work going?

    ReplyDelete