Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm Free!!!!

It is finally over!! The biggest mistake I have ever made in my skating career (except picking Ted as a coach) has finally ended.

My self-emposed sentence as Ice Monitor has reached its end and I am blessedly free from the chore!!

My final session was so much like previous sessions; I skated for 10 minutes. During those 10 minutes, I got absolutely nothing done. Why? There were 30 skaters on the ice. Everyone had approximately one foot of skating room. I didn't even bother to try to do my moves in the field, I did try to work on spins, but that proved to be a waste of time. I really didn't care; all I wanted was for the session to end so I could hand in my paperwork and never, ever do this chore again.

Songs about freedom have been running through my mind: "Me and Bobby McGee", "Freedom" (from the musical Shenendoah), "Free" (from the musical A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum)... The list goes on.

One bright note is that my co-monitor relaxed a great deal as the year went on. Plus, said the sweetest thing. She said she wished I had had the chance to really skate because she knew I could skate and wanted to actually see me do something. I had to agree with her on that one.

So, I have plans (again) and some upcoming time off. (I don't call them vacations because something usually goes horribly wrong.) I have a few things to do during that time which includes cleaning my apartment, going to the gym, skating, studying and attending a theatre opening. I already have the shoes, now to figure out what I'm wearing...

It'll be so good to sleep in on a Sunday. Or go to church.

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Nothing is going to go horribly wrong this time (crossing my fingers for you).
    30 skaters? I can't even imagine how crowded that must have been. What if there had been a fire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should do a post on Ted and why he was so bad! Unless you already did and I missed it or if you don't want to rehash the negativity.

    ReplyDelete