Monday, December 7, 2015

Winds of Change

Working twelve hours a day then driving 90 minutes home began to take a toll on my health, so I had to cut back. Cutting back meant I had the opportunity to skate. That also created a bit of a problem because the skates are still killing my arches. Oh feet, why must you be so wide AND flat???!!!! Thanks to my GPS (not the one in the phone, an actual, stand-alone GPS), I located the rink in Bethpage. It was nice to be back on the ice, however, I had forgotten what a zoo that session is. You want to do an illusion in the middle of the track? Go ahead. You need to do a back spiral and it's not your program and you don't look behind you before hand? Feel free. I think what surprised me the most was the 2 year old on the ice, in the corner, playing with the snow. I did get some skating in, but not much. I warm up my feet, doing ballet exercises for my feet and sometimes it still doesn't help. That was the case on Friday. I was only able to last twenty minutes before I had to get off and rest my feet. I hate to say it, but if I sit down, it's not so bad. That leads me to believe that (yes, that broken record again... If you don't know the origin of the saying "broken record", please ask your parents; unless your parents are in their early 20s) my weight is causing the issue with my feet. It probably doesn't help that I've gained weight since beginning this job. We seem to have more than the usual amount of celebrations and luncheons. Last month alone, there was a potluck luncheon for Thanksgiving; a pie give-away for Thanksgiving; a celebrate the November birthdays dessert surprise and three luncheon meetings. That's a lot of food. Add to that a lack of exercise and you have my current situation. "Winds of change are set to blow and sweep this whole land through..."** Sunday's session was better, even though I only skated the second session and not the first. Yes, I'm back as ice monitor; I have resigned myself to the job, knowing that I do get free ice in the process. My skates are still stiff as a board and an hour of working my feet prevented pain for almost 50 minutes. So, what have we learned here? I have to really warm up my feet for no less than 30 minutes. I have to lose weight. I have to skate more. And I have to say "no" to those desserts!!! (The birthday cake was really good, with roses made out of icing and that buttercream filling...) ** "Morning Glow" from the musical Pippin. Music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

No comments:

Post a Comment