Saturday, November 13, 2021

Ramblings

Yesterday, I found out a coach at my rink passed away. Impossible, I thought. I just saw her. But no, I last saw her in August and she did indeed pass away. Where does the time go? Today, a co-worker who I really enjoyed working with, left my team (we have teams at my job, like we're all playing Center Field for the NY Mets) and moved over to another team where previously another co-worker moved to. I'm sure it's a lighter workload and after eighteen months of working on my team (which I do not "own". I am a worker bee, not the queen) she saw the opportunity and grabbed it. Can't say I blame her, but I'll miss her just the same. Yes, she still works for the company, but I will miss seeing weekly pictures of her cats dressed up in baby clothes. Don't ask. I have not been keeping to my skating schedule lately. Between coaches out of town, headaches and just general ennui, I have been skipping sessions left, right and center. I have continued working out, but I think my diet might be contradicting the efforts of a 30 minute workout. Maybe I need more sleep. Maybe we ALL need more sleep. How is it that Daylight Savings Time only generates more sleep for the first two nights and then your body gets used to it and you aren't getting that additional hour? Recently, I saw a posting on Instagram about a tee-shirt for sale online that said "Meet me in the Lutz corner". I replied, "No, stay OUT of the Lutz corner. That's not a place to congregate." They wrote back: "He he." He he?? What is it about the Lutz corner? Is it the big red circles that aid in finding your center when practicing your eights for the Bronze and Gold Adult Moves in the Field tests? I have never seen anyone allowed to do those figures on the red circle in the corner, so I'm a bit confused as to why everyone practices it there. Suddenly everyone places their jumps in the lefty Lutz corner, another thing I don't understand. Between someone laying out a figure and someone else doing jumps, I can't figure out what is so attractive about the lefty Lutz corner. Please don't say no one uses it because apparently, they do. Outdoor rinks will be opening soon and I can't wait to wave so long to the kids who spin in the lutz corners. Some rinks allow that; there was a rink in Westchester where you spun in the corners opposite from the Zamboni. That made no sense to me because... well just because. Spinning in the corners or in the track are hazzards. And they're in my way. Next week I will make every effort to skate my four days. I was thinking about doing two sessions on one or maybe two days per week. For now, one step at a time: I'll get up for a practice session. Or three...

No comments:

Post a Comment