Saturday, March 9, 2024

Pain

I hurt myself today... Actually, it was yesterday. The session was going well. I skated my Swing dance and didn't mess up the C step in the corner, so my coach and I were able to re-start the dance. My jumps were going well, although slowly, with a few failed attempts before they were landed. For the record, I have never liked the Salchow and I still don't. Several attempts later and it was landed to my coach's satisfaction. Then, the toe loop. The horn for the Zamboni had been sounded. The first attempt hadn't gone as planned. But I was determined. On the second attempt, left forward inside 3 turn, left arm back and then scoop down and up... the 3 turn wasn't completed, I rocked back on my heels and my feet flew up in the air. I landed squarely on my left butt cheek and my left arm, which hadn't gotten out of the way fast enough. The amount of pain was unbelievable. The fall must have been pretty decent because my coach raced over to help me up. The look in his eyes told me that the look in my eyes wasn't good. I said, "I think that's enough for today." And he replied "Yeah, yeah definitely" as he skated me off the ice, asking if I was okay. I told him I was okay and wished him a good weekend before it all hit. Suddenly I was nauseous. And weak. I walked over to my friend, who saw the fall and asked if I was okay and I replied, "I think I'm going to faint." She offered me water, told me to sit down (I had been standing) and to take my time doing eveything. Eventually, I felt well enough to get my things and head out of the rink, but I was shaky amd my left wrist really hurt. Once home, I told my sisters (one is out of town) and after some back and forth, it was decided that I should go into the Walk-In Clinic. My left arm was throbbing, I couldn't move my fingers and changing out of my skating clothes was difficult. On the pain scale, I was at a 12. At the clinic, I had x-rays, after explaining several times that I'm a figure skater and that I had not hit my head. Turns out, I had a severe sprain and was given OTC painkillers and a brace. The next day, after very littlle sleep due to pain, the pain scale was down to 8. No jumping for a few days. Once I can make a fist and tie my skates, I'll be back on the ice. The moral of this story is: if you feel yourself falling, throw your arms in the air because your butt is tronger than your wrist. This was typed with one hand. I am amazed at how many things I do with my left hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment