Monday, December 10, 2012

Sunday, No Park, No George

I will continue to make references to old movies and musicals (Sunday In the Park With George by Stephen Sondheim. Original cast included Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters) until someone, some day finally acknowledges these references. On to skating. I have been somewhat absent since Hurricane Sandy, but I have been skating. My tablet hates the speed at which I type and my computer at work just hates everything. From time to time, it shuts itself down. However, last month, prior to Chelsea Piers re-opening (YEAH!!), I skated at another rink. Here are my thoughts about that situation... City Ice Pavilion was open on Sunday after the storm. Imagine my surprise. Therefore, Amy contacted me, asking if I wanted to skate. "Why not?" I thought, "How bad can it be?" Bad. It could be bad. I believe the cut off number for skaters was 30. We HAD to have had 30 skaters on the ice. While stroking, I think I smacked someone in the back of the head; I can't be sure. I almost didn't get on the session, as I was number 27. Funny, I left home early, it took 22 minutes to get to the rink via subway and I almost didn't get on. Be that as it may, off I went to skate. Ten minutes into the session, my feet began to cramp. The cramps moved up my leg to my ankles. I hate when that happens because I miss ice time. Off the ice, massage the feet, try to pick up a pencil with my toes... Blah, blah, blah. If you've ever had this problem then you know the routine. It took 15 minutes to get the feeling back in my feet. Back to MIF, which would have gone better if there were 10 less people on the ice. Actually, I would have been happy with 5 less people on the ice. It was a challenge. I got through 1/4 of my cross rolls, when a pair team, yes, a pair team decided to do a press lift right there. Funny thing is, they weren't the only pair team on the ice. There were 2 pair teams and 2 ice dancing couples. I don't get it; Wollman was open. Since all four teams usually skated there, why not GO there?! The weather was even nice. I am confused... Two little girls just HAD to skate where their parents, sitting in the bleachers, could see them. Forget the fact that they caused several near-hit accidents. They were happy and their parents just beamed. So happy I'm childless.... It wasn't a bad session as far as my skill level was concerned. I learned that another rink was having a competition in a few weeks (I think in Westchester) and that's why there were so many skaters. "Okay, go with it." And I did. The following Sunday didn't go as well. I was number 30 and the cut-off was 26. Didn't skate that session; felt bad because Amy drove all the way to Queens for me. She's great. Now that Chelsea Piers has reopened, some of my skills stayed, others have gone on vacation. My biggest problem is my lack of core strength and a sudden balance issue I never experienced before. Also, my feet hurt ALL THE TIME! In shoes, in skates, in just socks! I am blaming it on my weight. I blame everything on my weight. Today I found out that Chelsea Piers is having a spotlight competition in February. I think I'll give it a go. Can I get some core strength to go with a side of coffee to go, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment