Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Rink

Actually when I got to the rink. And no, it wasn't funny. Since I still work in Long Island and I'm fairly close to Great Neck, I decided, why skate there? There are two evening sessions that I recently discovered, and since Great Neck isn't THAT far, I thought, why not? I put the address into my phone GPS and off I go; 7 miles down dark, twisting roads without adequate street signs. Speed limits changing from one block to the other and that odd realization that Long Island doesn't have a heck of a lot of sidewalks. I make a wrong turn, ask someone for assistance, and find my way to the rink. Several years ago, I skated at the Great Neck rink. It was on Sunday mornings and I am much better with directions when it's still light outside. However, as soon as I walked in, I remembered this rink. It was colder than any rink I'd ever skated in and it still is, in more ways than one. Seeing a woman who worked at the rink, I asked who I had to pay for the Great Neck Figure Skating Club session. First, she looked me up and down, twice. Then she pointed to the man driving the Zamboni. I nodded and said thank you, and went into the lounge area. As I was trying to navigate around the small children from the public session (which included a small boy who apparently just discovered turning around really, really fast can make you dizzy and he liked it), find a seat and warm-up my feet, that same woman came looking for me. This isn't a freestyle session, she informed me. I mentioned that it was on the schedule. Oh, well it's a freestyle session for club members only. So, you can't guest on this session, like at every other skating club? No. It's for club members only. There's a public session at 8:00. No thank you; not sticking around for that. Not giving you my money. And I left. Great Neck doesn't need my money; they are rich and generally obnoxious. Was I turned away because I'm an adult? Or because I'm over-weight? Or because I'm black? I've skated at a lot of different rinks, at a lot of different club sessions and I have NEVER heard of a club session for club members only. Even the Cantiague club sessions that were basically closed to anyone not in the club, allowed guests if there was room. That was a few years ago; now they welcome guests. Money is money. However, Great Neck Figure Skating Club, you won't be seeing mine. You may be the closest rink to my job, but after today, I only have two words for you.... BYE FELICIA!

1 comment:

  1. It's Great Neck's FSC's loss. As you mentioned, most club sessions will accept Guests if there's room, since they realize it's more beneficial doing so (more bodies on ice within occupancy limits=more $ for the rink). The rink I skate at has a club, but doesn't even have club sessions, only Open FS. Another rink I skated at in the past, has club sessions and gladly accepted guests even if there wasn't room. Great Neck? Yeah, some of them think they're who they are. As Adam Clayton Powell once said: "Don't shop where you're not wanted." Good for you for walking out.

    ReplyDelete