Saturday, September 23, 2023

Clockwise

I am still jetlagged, one week later. It's coming along, but I keep waking up at 3:30EST when it's 8:30AM in London. Anyway... Am I the only person who notices that 99% of all clockwise skaters now do loop jumps from a left forward inside three turn? I looked up Ashley Wagner, Johnny Weir and Carolina Kostner. All three do loop jumps from inside three turns. If you don't do loop jumps from inside three turns, allow me to tell you that if you don't turn the three correctly and hit a solid back outside edge, you aren't going anywhere. It's one of those jumps you just have to trust that you won't screw up the turn and go for it. Don't wait too long because the longer you wait, the easier it seems to fall out of the three turn. Do counter-clockwise skaters do a loop from an inside three turn? Judging from my own skating experiences, you guys are riding that right back outside edge after a crossover, while we lefties are trying not to fall out of a three turn. And yes, I've tried back crossovers into the jump, as well as a C turn. It didn't work. However, when the turn is good and not too slow (a habit I have developed), the jump is fine. Damn my lack of core strength! It has come to my attention (again!) that the core is the core. It is the center of everything, from jumps and spins to turns. My weak core has prevented the "fix" of my Salchow and loop jump to remain consistent. And don't get me started on the strange problem that has popped up when stepping from backward to forward. It has created such a problem that I have reworked two jumps in my program so I don't have to step forward after being backward. You can step into a waltz jump from a left forward outside edge to a right forward outside edge. As long as we're discussing clockwise skaters, quick question: what is the fascination with the lefty Lutz corner? There's a coach at one of the rinks who plants himself and his student in one of those corners and wouldn't leave if Ulrich Salchow came back to skate. It's not just me complaining (although there is only one other lefty on the session) but anyone who tries to do their program. There he is, in his jacket and baseball cap, telling you to "go around" when you have the right of way. I actually have a jump in the corner he has made a home in, and I've almost taken him and his student down at least twice. Go figure. My body thinks it's about 11:00pm, so it must be after 6:00pm. Either way, I'm out. Keep skating!

No comments:

Post a Comment