Friday, September 6, 2013

Friends from the Past

A few weeks ago, I met up with an old friend who was in town with two of her three sons (My Three Sons... maybe someone should use that title for a TV show...) for an event her eldest son was participating in. We've known each other for what seems like forever. We met years ago when she was a competitive Junior Lady and I was a rank beginner. During the time we have known one another, my friend has moved about a dozen times, briefly become a pairs skater (she's as tall as I am), fell in love, passed her Senior test, competed in more competitions than I could ever count, graduated from college, gotten engaged, gotten married and has had three children. I, on the other hand, have purchased shoes. Seriously, I don't think I've improved all that much since we met. She asked me about my tests and jokingly said that I've been working on them forever, since before we met. I think that might be true. She is toying with the idea of temporarily moving to NYC; which would be great for her son, and pretty cool for me. As a former national competitor, she would probably have a line up of kids and adult who would want to take lessons from her. I'd be one of them. Under her guidance (and I think while she was pregnant with her second son), I took my Adult Silver Freestyle test. I didn't pass (partially because I left out a required element, also fell into the boards on a required jump)but it felt pretty good going out there and trying. She made me work so hard, every night I went back to my room and iced my knees while sitting with a heating pad on my back. (Forgot to mention, this was during one of my trips to Adult Skating Week in Lake Placid, NY.) My body didn't know if I should be hot or cold. It was pretty good. Best time I ever had at Adult Week. Fast forward to my skating now. It's sporadic, thanks to pain, finances, classes and cooling systems. My heart is still in the sport, even if my body and pocketbook are fighting me. Before you suggest skating public sessions, I will repeat something I said almost a year ago: public sessions are few are far between here in NYC. What few there are, are usually held while I'm at work. I still don't believe my boss will agree to me skipping out the door, smiling and calling over my shoulder, "See ya soon! Gotta go skate." Call me crazy. As for moving out of NYC, I have three, yes, three family members. That's it. And we all live in NY; three of us live really close to one another (okay, one is my room mate) and the other lives just a few hours away. So, moving away is really out of the question. Plus, I live in New York City! Hello.... I know my friend would be able to improve my skating, if we could ever schedule lessons. But she lives in Buffalo and I don't. Therefore, I will do the next best thing: practice, practice, practice. Since I no longer have a parking spot, I am hesitant to take my car to the rink on Friday night for fear I won't have any place to park it upon my return. I'm sure this is a unfounded fear, but, try to imagine a five city block radius, with approximately ten apartment buildings on those blocks. Every other person has a car and the only parking is on the street. Also, each block has a fire hydrant and you can't park near them (I never remember how close you can park to them) and some of the other residences are houses with driveways. You see my problem. I am looking for a parking spot to rent, but meanwhile... "Are you pulling out or just parking? Parking? Okay, thanks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment