Monday, September 23, 2013

While the City Sleeps

Having to wake up early seven days a week can occasionally be quite exhausting. That alarm clock rings at 5:45 six days a week, at 6:30 one day a week. When am I supposed to sleep in? With no other place to skate on Saturday, I skated early Sunday morning and had a lesson with my coach. My ONLY coach, if you read my last post. I was feeling a bit sluggish, having spent Saturday in class for hours. I love ASL, sometimes, it's just so intense, I end up wanting to sleep for a few hours. I had no expectations regarding my skating. Wednesday's lesson fiasco, which included enough "stink-eye" for the rest of my life, I wasn't sure what to expect. Whatever the reason, something happened: everything worked. Jumps were high and landed cleanly. Spins were centered and fast. And MIF were better than ever. I even performed something called "rolling threes", which made me dizzy, but were quite fun. If you know how to do rolling threes without getting dizzy, please, I beg of you, tell me. I want to incorporate these into my program, but have to stop in order for the world to stop spinning. Sunday was a very pleasant experience. It was followed by a trip to the Brooklyn Museum for an ASL field trip, which was also a lot of fun. Hope I can keep up the good work, pleasant attitude and vocabulary. "While the city sleeps While the streets are clear There's a life that's happening here. While the tourist dreams In his Statler bed Here we're living those dreams instead..."** While the City Sleeps from Golden Boy. Music by Charles Strouse. Lyrics by Lee Adams. ** Decided to go a bit old school and obscure with this quote. This show, based on the 1937 play by Clifford Odets, was produced in 1964 and starred Sammy Davis Jr. There is your theatre history lesson for today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a good skate, especially after your experience in your last post! I have been shown rolling threes and they are cool, I've never done much with them, though they would be effective in a program. I notice from your header that you are a lefty, I am too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lefties are the best because we're the only people in our "right minds"! Plus, we freak people out when skating because they don't know where we're going!

    ReplyDelete