Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Huh, What???

A recent trip to Lake Placid to watch some adult ISI skating proved to be a waste of time; there was only 2 adults and I missed them anyway. I did get to skate, and foolishly hurt my back. I couldn't take a deep breath; I'm still trying to figure out what I did. It snowed here on the east coast; a lot of snow. The mayor told people to stay home, if they could. My office closed for the day and 1/2 of the rinks I know were also closed. Not that it would have mattered. Between hurting my back and my car being buried by snow, the odds weren't good anyway. Now, here's the problem: I drive to the rink 99% of the time. I do not, however, drive in the snow. This is due to a near accident (or near miss) I had about 4 years ago. There was also an incident of a 360 degree donut my other car did about 10 years ago. As a result, I don't drive when there's snow on the ground. Not that it would matter because I park outside and the slight ramp I must drive up to get out of the lot is covered in ice. There's also the street I have to drive up to get to the lot; it too is up an incline. Ice and inclines... bad combination. That leaves me with another problem: where can I skate?? I'm taking public transportation to get to work. The bus takes an hour; the train only comes once ever half hour. I can't skate in the morning because I just can't get there. The rinks I might be able to skate in the evening will take another hour to travel to by bus. I find this ironic because one rink is only 7 miles away and it's going to take an hour? It's a bit difficult when rinks believe an "evening" session should begin at 3:00pm. Aren't kids just getting out of school at 3:00? Even 4:00 is pushing it a bit. A good evening session should begin at 6:00 or 6:45. Not too early, not too late. I know of three, but I'd have to have access to my car to get there... Oh well... Just to add a spanner to the mix (wrench), my coach told me on Sunday that I should do Easterns, the technical program. Really? After the vote of no confidence and not having done that program for two years?? I need a drink...

No comments:

Post a Comment