Tuesday, October 29, 2013

It Might As Well Be Spring

I am suffering from "fall fever". It's a lot like spring fever, but in the fall. I want the weather to get colder, mostly because my apartment has too much heat and I wake up feeling as though a large Maine Coon cat has been sleeping on my face. Being congested makes me tired. Also, I'm having trouble concentrating. Saturday's lesson was great; I was surprised as I really just wanted to sleep (I want to sleep a lot lately; some might suggest depression). My coach and I worked on transitions: mohawks, three turns, brackets and of course, speed. I am seriously a clockwise skater; most moves in the other direction are awkward to me. Especially mohawks. In group lessons, where I was taught mohawks, I never learned the right forward inside mohawk, thus explaining why it's so weak. I also had a bad experience with the left inside mohawk and well, I've never done one at much speed since. I need to get over that if I expect to pass the Silver MIF. It is imperative that they (along with my three turns) improve. My left forward outside three turn is also weak, but not as weak as my right forward inside. I really don't understand these weaknesses. Occasionally, the brain switches off and they aren't nearly as bad as I think. Then, the brain switches back on and I am frozen in that spot. My backspins seem to be stuck at the top of the three turn. After turning the three turn, I come to a total screeching halt. Any suggestions out there? Does self hypnosis really work? I could use a bit more confidence and a lot less self-criticism. That brings me to Sunday. I am ice monitoring again, and I refuse to dwell on the parents of the skaters. Heck, I don't even plan on talking about them. But come my chance to get on the ice and my heart just wasn't in it. I feel frustrated and disheartened that I'm not improving, especially when I see another adult skater (who NEVER looks where she's going and hits some of the oddest positions I have ever seen in life)and discover she is taking her Gold MIF when she started in the last three years. I don't know what to do or where to turn. Should I try to get more ice time, more lesson time, more "hammer time", more "hog branding time**" or what? When I have the chance, I will try to discuss this with my coach and hope she has something more positive to say than "Why don't you just skate Bronze instead of Silver because you'll never be fast or good enough." Ouch. "I'm as restless as a willow in a windstorm, I'm as jumpy as a puppet on a string, I'd say that I have spring fever But I know it isn't spring..." It Might as Well Be Spring, from State Fair. Music by Richard Rogers, Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein III ** Hog branding time - The Flintstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment